AO-40 omni's

Vince Fiscus said:

>I wish the command team would try and get the omni's working so we
>could use the bird more.

Vince,

Only L, U, and V bands ever had omni's.  After the December incident they
were tried MANY times on all three bands, Rx for L and Rx/Tx for U/V.  None
of the omnis ever worked after the December incident.  There is every
reason to believe that they were severely mechanically damaged and will
remain non-functional.  Omni's were never available for S-band, so even if
we had an omni Rx this would not help the directional S-band
downlink.  There is not much need for an omni receive if the downlink is
highly directional.  In addition, repeatedly switching a functional
receiver to a non-functional antenna is not something to be taken
lightly.  If the antenna relay were to fail connected to the omni, we would
lose that receiver capability forever.  There is nothing else to be done
with the omni's.

Along the same lines, when the S1 Tx failed I wrote and uploaded a program
which, over about half an hour, repeatedly cycled the S1 Tx on and off
every couple seconds.  Each time it was "on" the program checked to see if
the S1 was drawing any current.  If it had been, the program would have
terminated at that point, leaving the S1 "on".  Over almost a thousand such
cycles, the S1 Tx never showed signs of drawing power.