RE: ICOM 910H

Joe,

Here's just a thought.  I recommend you go "upstream" of the radio - don't
make it do the work.  Install either a Microphone-TNC switch (e.g.,
MFJ-1272) giving you access to the keying signal; or use a desk mike, and
add a control lead to key your amp via a relay.  Your mike, not the radio,
would trigger it all.  The radio doesn't need to generate or even relay that
signal, just respond to it.  And the amp doesn't care where it comes from,
especially if it is remotely mounted at the masthead.

The MFJ-1272 has gotten cheaper with so many soundcard modems out there.
E-bay has them all the time.  I got one there, but use it with my old
MFJ-1278 TNC (a wonderful antique that keeps on running packet for me).

I control transmit via a simple homebrew mixer switch-box that accepts the
signals from my desk mike and selectively routes them to my IC-756Pro,
IC-910H, or IC-718.  I got the connectors on E-bay, and the box and switches
at Radio Shack.  I don't need to key or talk through more than one radio on
a band at a time.  This also gives me the option (not yet implemented) to
install a closed loop to the masthead to enable the keying only after the
masthead relays respond, ensuring no transmit power goes up the coax until
the preamp is out of circuit and grounded.  In effect, I plan to key the
masthead relays, and then use them to key the radio and amp.

Good luck with your project.

73' de Dan, KB4L