ICOM IC-970 (japan 10W model) Question

I have just acquired one of these used from Japan to keep as as a spare.
I bought it as-is with a known problem and now have it working about
99.9% and am awaiting parts to make as new.

The questions I have are:

1. This Japan model is a basic IC-970 (no suffix),  is a 10 watt unit
and has limited bandwidth 144-146 and 430-440 MHz. This is no problem
for domestic weak signal, but I would like to get the US FM band
portions activated. I see that the internal ROM IC-3 has a part number
SC1194-1. The manual for my IC-970A covers models A/E/H including europe
models. In the manual, a part number SC-1128 is listed presumably for
the US, Europe, Sweden and Australia versions.

Does this mean I have to change the ROM to get domestic band? I see no
other differences operationally to this radio (CTCSS etc). A friend in
Japan has located some ROM's being sold on the Japan Yahoo Auction that
are supposed to open the radio up. Has anyone heard of this, would they
be the correct ones?

Or can I simply change the resistors R18X- R19X on the CPU for the US
model?

2. Is anyone familiar with the nomenclature of the CPU signals. I came
across the following signals from the logic board during the repair that
I can't figure out. They are from one of the expander chips and are
called: HPI, and XHRT. The first I think has to do with cross band
repeat option (mod) and the second I think is for the high speed CW
break in. As this radio hasn't had the cross band repeat mod and doesn't
have the keyer, I haven't tried to exercise either of these lines. Does
any one have a listing of signals commonly used in ICOM transceivers?

3. Is anyone else aware of any differences between the Japan and US
versions other than what I have noted?

Thanks in advance

BIG RIG (IC-970) MECHANIC

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
Jleikhim@nettally.com

"Jazz is not dead.  It just smells funny." -F.Z.