From: Frank A Cahoy [mailto:k0blt@juno.com]
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 9:36 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Yuri...UA1LO

To all interested,

I will yield to Martin in that by all current reasoning Yuri Gagarin was
never the holder of the call UA1LO.  I have already been severely chastised
for taking up so much bandwidth of this BB so my response will be short and
to the point.

If any of you out there had in your files a QSL card from UA1LO dated in the
same time period as the one I have and the "rumor" was floating around that
this was/had been the call sign of Yuri Gagarin, the first man into space,
wouldn't you have reacted similarily to my response? This is, after all, a
space related bulletin board/reflector, is it not?
Wouldn't you all have hoped that the facts would have proven the story to be
correct?  Of course, I wanted the story to be true.  As soon as I send this,
my once prized UA1LO QSL will be put back into the files where it has been
resting for more than 30 years.  When I become an SK I have instructed my
XYL to bundle up all of those cards tightly and use them in the fire place.
There should be enough to keep the house warm for a full and cold winter!!
No, I'm not angry or bitter.  It was, for me, if for no one else, a
memorable chapter in my personal amateur radio handbook.

73,  Frank, K0BLT