RE: AO-40 Photos

Keith wrote:

>Because of the increasing ALON, it is now necessary to take pictures for
>attitude determination at the end of one orbit, and download them after
>apogee on the next orbit.

>My question is, are these AO-40 photos available to be viewed and if so
>where?

All telemetry captured from AO-40 is available online at:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftp/telemetry/ao40/

The telemetry archive is ordered by date down to the month level. Inside the
month directory you will find zip files, 1 file per orbit. If you look at
the zip file sizes, then you'll see that some are substantially larger than
others. These will be the files containing D-blocks. The D blocks are used
to download the jpeg images (and other data) from the spacecraft.

Details of how to convert raw d blocks into images you can view can be found
here:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/ao40/d-block-jpeg.html

If the command stations have sent in the decoded and/or despun jpeg images
to the archive, which they generally do. Then the orbit zip file will also
include a zip file named something like 835JPEGs.zip, this file contains the
images in viewable form.

The de-spun images often include markings showing angles etc, ... these are
used in for attitude determination, ... i.e. working out ALON/ALAT.

I hope that helps

Paul, VP9MU
AO-40 Telemetry Archive

This message and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and may be privileged and/or subject to the
provisions of privacy legislation.  It is intended solely for the
person to whom it is addressed and review by anyone else
is unauthorised.  Any use, disclosure, reproduction,
modification or distribution of the contents of this e-mail, or
any part thereof, other than by the intended recipient, is
strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient or
have received this message in error, please notify the
sender of this e-mail immediately by return e-mail and
destroy the message and all copies in your possession.

Oil Management Services Ltd