Re: Open Source Software: Antiques never die!

>Tom's old tracking program is still one of the very few "open source"
>programs, along with G3RUH's excellent "Plan 13"  program, for those who
>want to see how the tracking algorithms actually work and perhaps modify
>the code for customized applications. Do we really want to be "appliance
>operators" in regard to our software, or do we want to know what goes on
>inside the black box? I thought hams were tinkerers.

Most are, even today, Dan...But we sometimes run into the "button pushers".
Couple those with some that profess to make a big mystery out of something
they are familiar with, and sort of infer their superiority.  My thrust is
to emphasize the simplicity of it (which it is, mostly).  I guess it is
because I have to know the nuts and bolts of ANYTHING before my old gray matter
can comprehend it...

Fortunately the "holier than thou" are in the minority!!  And also fortunate
that we have people like you and Tom that explain the complicated so we
can understand it...

>It does have some nostalgia value, as a poor college student I couldn't
>afford to buy any kind of home computer (this was before they were
>called personal computers) but I did type the code line by line into the
>university's mainframe and then spent several days looking for a typo
>that was causing the output data to be gibberish. I had to beg for a
>computer account from college administrators who could not understand
>why a student not enrolled in a programming class would need to use a
>computer.
>
>Anyhow, since a lot of hams are nostalgic about old radios, why not be
>nostalgic about old computer code? It is a significant part of amateur
>satellite history.

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....