Re: Open Source Software: Antiques never die!

Tom's old tracking program is still one of the very few "open source"
programs, along with G3RUH's excellent "Plan 13"  program, for those who
want to see how the tracking algorithms actually work and perhaps modify
the code for customized applications. Do we really want to be "appliance
operators" in regard to our software, or do we want to know what goes on
inside the black box? I thought hams were tinkerers.

It does have some nostalgia value, as a poor college student I couldn't
afford to buy any kind of home computer (this was before they were
called personal computers) but I did type the code line by line into the
university's mainframe and then spent several days looking for a typo
that was causing the output data to be gibberish. I had to beg for a
computer account from college administrators who could not understand
why a student not enrolled in a programming class would need to use a
computer.

Anyhow, since a lot of hams are nostalgic about old radios, why not be
nostalgic about old computer code? It is a significant part of amateur
satellite history.

Dan Schultz N8FGV