Re: old computers for satellite tracking

386 and 486 computers are available
nowadays for free or almost free.  <<

hello Wayne.

Yesterday I went to a going out of business sale for a company here in Clear
Lake.  They had 1.2ghz Pentiums with monitors and 5gb hard drives for 30
dollars.

As I was putting the sales reciepts away in my notebook I found the one for
the orignal 8088 we bought some years back....good thing it still runs
(grin).

Robert

>From: Estes Wayne-W10191 <W10191@motorola.com>
>To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: [amsat-bb] old computers for satellite tracking
>Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:06:21 -0500
>
>Terry Bendell wrote:
>
>I still use an old Osborne-1 CP/M machine for satellite tracking
>using MBASIC code. In fact its a great way to help newcomers short of cash
>get some extra use out of the old machines they might have laying around.
>

>Wayne replies:
>
>There may be educational value in using BASIC programs on a CP/M machine,
>but there isn't really an economic benefit.  386 and 486 computers are
>available nowadays for free or almost free.  You get much more power and
>flexibility with a "free" machine that can run DOS and 16-bit Windows
>software.  If you have a fascination for legacy BASIC programs, I think
>they can run with minimal modification using Windows QuickBASIC.
>
>Wayne Estes W9AE
>Mundelein, IL, USA
>----

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX