From: Dave Guimont [mailto:dguimon1@san.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 6:13 PM
To: Terry Bendell
Cc: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Open Source Software: Antiques never die!

>You ever pry apart assembler or Basic code from a 25 year old
>program perhaps written for a cpu or OS you know nothing about?
>
>Perhaps the goal is to learn the nuts and bolts the author applied, update
>it and re-code for another platform.
>
>Someday if it's ever released the engine for a popular and current
>satellite/telemetry decoder was re-wrote just this way in the BASIC
>language. Sees LOTS of use everyday its called PCSAT.EXE
>

>I have some of the code here and I can tell you that I learned a pile from
>it and have been able to customize it to use with current cpu platforms.
>
>Nostalgia, is a big part of Ham radio, the museums, the stories, the
>people and to suggest that it contributes nothing is in my opinion at
>odds with the fraternity.
>
>I still use an old Osborne-1 CP/M machine for satellite tracking
>using MBASIC code. In fact its a great way to help newcomers short of cash
>get some extra use out of the old machines they might have laying around.
>
>Just my Opinion.

Yes, Terry, I agree, and have found that to be true in the 28 years I've
been learning
on these birds....I am neither technician or engineer, and will never
understand how
these "button pushers" fail to see the logic in the most simplistic of
methods to
derive the same result....Maybe I am jealous because I don't have "button
pushing"
memory...

1's and 0's obviously work, but I learn little from them. My empirical
solutions
usually work, but I learn more when they don't...

And it seems as tho the demos and talks I've given to ~18 clubs in San
Diego for
about the same number of years have made the most sense using such logic....
And of course the nostalgia is a wonderful by-product...

And it fits into my  <128 k memory!!

>on 9/10/02 12:39 PM, laura halliday at marsgal42@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Sorry, but you're comparing apples and oranges. For
> > satellites of relatively constant altitude, an oscar-
> > locator provides useful data, based on first principles,
> > in a very obvious, very intuitive way.
> >
> > A 20 year old BASIC program does none of this, and I
> > can't say I follow your reasoning on how it is useful
> > for teaching the basics. If nostalgia is all it has
> > going for it, then it has nothing going for it...
> >
> > Laura Halliday VE7LDH     "Que les nuages soient notre
> > Grid: CN89lg                    pied a terre..."
> > ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W        - Hospital/Shafte

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....