Re: Open Source Software: Antiques never die!

You ever pry apart assembler or Basic code from a 25 year old
program perhaps written for a cpu or OS you know nothing about?

Perhaps the goal is to learn the nuts and bolts the author applied, update
it and re-code for another platform.

Someday if it's ever released the engine for a popular and current
satellite/telemetry decoder was re-wrote just this way in the BASIC
language. Sees LOTS of use everyday its called PCSAT.EXE

I have some of the code here and I can tell you that I learned a pile from
it and have been able to customize it to use with current cpu platforms.

Nostalgia, is a big part of Ham radio, the museums, the stories, the
people and to suggest that it contributes nothing is in my opinion at
odds with the fraternity.

I still use an old Osborne-1 CP/M machine for satellite tracking
using MBASIC code. In fact its a great way to help newcomers short of cash
get some extra use out of the old machines they might have laying around.

Just my Opinion.

73

Terry