Re: Open Source Software: Antiques never die!

Dave Guimont <dguimon1@san.rr.com> wrote about some
ancient software that I have never seen:

>         NO WE CANNOT!!
>
>Too many good memories go with it, and some of us old guys wax nostalgic
>every once in
>awhile!!  I fire it up every now and then just for the fun of it.
>
>I never do a satellite lecture that I don't include your program, my
>"noditters", and
>Marty's fantastic OSCARLOCATOR!!  Certainly not a requisite for operating
>modern
>equipment, as easy as it is today, but they cannot be beat for teaching the
>basics...

Sorry, but you're comparing apples and oranges. For
satellites of relatively constant altitude, an oscar-
locator provides useful data, based on first principles,
in a very obvious, very intuitive way.

A 20 year old BASIC program does none of this, and I
can't say I follow your reasoning on how it is useful
for teaching the basics. If nostalgia is all it has
going for it, then it has nothing going for it...

Grid: CN89lg                    pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W        - Hospital/Shafte