AO-40 Update, 2002-09-09

\Hello All,
>  at the risk of getting complaint mail, it looks like the IHU has
> crashed, ao40
>is transmitting a steady bpsk carrier with no data
>at 1038utc...
>
>Kevin WA6FWF

No complaint,  just thanks and a clarification.

The IHU-2 was on and I'm sure this is the problem.  If the IHU-1 had
crashed during the beacon off period, the beacon would not have come on
nominally at MA = 106.  I mentioned on the amsat-bb earlier that we are
having to leave the IHU-2 on longer for photos and that if  (when) it
crashed this would be one result.  In addition to unmodulated carrier,
sometimes it outputs gibberish.   As the IHU-1 should be functioning
nominally, this is of no consequence to normal function and should be a
quick fix as soon as a command station gets access and turns off  or
re-loads the IHU-2.

We are working to determine why the IHU-2 crashes and will be leaving it on
quite a bit with variations in its software to turn caches on / off, wash
the memory, etc., so this will probably happen multiple times in the future.