Aurora Borealis Photos

Last night (Sep.7/8 there was a nice Aurora Borealis visible over much of
eastern North America (see http://www.spacew.com/www/auroras.html).

The past few nights on the east coast have been very clear and moonless, and
I have been trying to get some good Star Trails photos with my digital
camera. [Some of the details have been posted on the DPRIEVIEW web site,
see http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=3338990
(using 20-40 mm Sigma lens) and
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019&message=3339936 (using a
Russian Zenitar 16mm fish eye)]

Last night I had some phenomenal luck. Just after I started some 90 second
time-lapse photos with the Sigma lens, the sky lit up red and green with an
aurora. You can see the results of my efforts at
         http://www.toad.net/~w3iwi/index.htm.

[All the composite photos were made with a Canon D60 paced with a TC-80N3
timer. Photos were stacked using Max Lyons' Image Stacker software
(http://www.tawbaware.com/imgstack.htm)]

73 de Tom, W3IWI