Re: 9913 Coaxial Cable

Hi Gerry,

My 9913 70cm uplink, or rather, what remains of it, is
coiled up in the garage, waiting for a better use than
as an RF feed line.  For several years I sucked the water
out of it by drilling a small hole at the bottom end,
through the nylon/teflon/whatever insulator next to the
center pin in the N connector.  Used a syringe that our
vet gave us long ago for some sort of ailment on our cat.
Long curved pointy end that fit into the 1/16" hole.  Got
a couple of CCs out.

To be fair, I finally found the cause of all the water -
a squirrel had chewed through the insulation up near the
top by the antennas.  Hungry, I guess.  Too bad I wasn't
transmitting at the time...

Your symptoms, however, don't suggest moisture.  Antenna
position is not a moisture thing.  Sounds like a loose
connector somewhere, or if you have been flexing the
coax any, it's probably broken internally.

Your last sentence is the best suggestion - new LMR cable.
I got lucky and traded a spare antenna for some hardline.
Still haven't gotten it to work (bad connector, I guess).
Currently using some plain old RG-8 until I get around to
fixing it.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH