Re: Communication thru P5-A

I've browsed this discussion over the past few weeks, and I have some
comments.

Any discussion of the feasibility of an amateur Mars communications
link *must* be based on a careful, quantitative, end-to-end system
analysis that accounts for the effects of operating frequency,
distance, data rate, antenna sizes, noise figures, pointing
accuracies, oscillator stability, modulation, coding, etc.

Karl's paper contains such an analysis. Read it.  You may quibble with
his choice of some specific number, but it's a good start.

Any discussion or argument not based on complete, quantitative
analysis is pointless. This includes, for example, out-of-context
citations of specific transmitter technologies that may have been used
on Mars probes of the 1960s.

Phil