Re: UO-22 azimuth-only system

All,

I really appreciate all of the input I've received as a result of my question
on azimuth-only tracking of LEOs.  It's helped me to hatch an idea...

It's seems to all come down to a trade off of beamwidth vs. gain.  If your
70cm antenna had a 13.42 dBi gain and an 84-deg. beamwidth, you could mount
it on a cheap rotor or even use an armstrong system.  Aim it at an elevation
of 35-deg. and your gain at the horizon would still be 11.42 dBi.  Straight up,
the antenna would have a gain of 8.42 dBi.  With that kind of gain/beamwidth,
you could start out each pass ahead of AOS azimuth and then move it only once
or twice per pass.

The antenna I'm thinking of is a flat-plane reflector, described by L.B. Cebik,
W4RNL, at http://www.cebik.com/f432.html.  This antenna could be built with a
1-inch PVC tubing support frame and mesh-screen reflector.  The reflector would
be roughly 2-ft. square to cut down on wind loading.

Install a crossed-dipole feed system, adjusted to achieve 100-ohm impedence, and you
could have a simple RG-62 (93-ohm) phasing system for RHCP/LHCP.

With that kind of gain.  I could even use the antenna (with a switched preamp,
of course) for AO-40 uplink.  It would give me more gain than I get from the
11-element beam I'm using now!

This would be a perfect match for my existing AO-40 downlink antenna, which is
a 76-element loop yagi with a beamwidth of 10.7 degrees and 23.5 dBi gain
(Directive Systems 1276LY). Actual usable beamwidth seems to be about 15 deg.
Because the workable elevation of AO-40 here in Kodiak varies from only 6-to-20
deg., I'm able to leave the elevation fixed at 13 deg. and work all elevations.

The loop yagi has a wind loading of only 1.1-square feet and weighs just 5-lb.
So, I could conceivably mount both antennas on an inexpensive TV rotor!!!
Wouldn't need tracking software at all.

Something must be wrong with this idea.  It sounds too good to be true...

Any comments?

John Pfeifer - KL0WN
Kodiak, Alaska

John Pfeifer - KLØWN - Kodiak, AK - www.johnpfeifer.com