FW: AO40 velocity

Stacey's value for mu,  3.995e14 is correct, I did the conversion
wrong.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Robert McGwier
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 6:12 PM
To: Amsat Bulletin Board
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] AO40 velocity

Bob:

The Vis-viva equation is what you are looking for I think.

V^2 = mu (2/r  - 1/a)

where r is the distance of the satellite from earth center and
a is the semimajor axis.

mu varies according to the units you use.  If the units are in
earth radii,  then mu is 1 and the velocity squared is given
in (earth radii per second)^2.  You take the square root
of this to get velocity.  If you measure the distances in  meters,
I believe mu is approximately 1501416 if I did the conversion
correctly!

Bob
N4HY