No Subject

[216.168.230.145])
	by amsat.org (8.11.5/8.11.5) with ESMTP id g7U5LcI21287
	for <amsat-bb@amsat.org>; Thu, 29 Aug 2002 22:21:39 -0700 (PDT)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 21:21:35 -0800
From: John Pfeifer <john@johnpfeifer.com>
Subject: [amsat-bb] Azimuth only system for UO-22, etc.
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Sender: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org

Hello,

Now that I'm taking a short break from all the fun I've been
having on AO-40, I'm starting to think about that LEO antenna
system I've been meaning to put up.

I'm using UO-22 as a design point, figuring if my system can
access UO-22, I'll be able to use most of the other LEOs as
well.

My research on the net seems to indicate that most people on
UO-22 are using gain antennas and az-el rotors, especially on
receive.

Since I'm using an armstrong system for AO-40, I don't really
want to spend the money on an az-el rotor system. But, I am
considering putting up an azimuth-only system using APRStk.

Has anyone out there had experience using a modest cross yagi
for UO-22 receive?  I'm thinking about 5 or 6 elements,
switchable RHCP/LHCP with a good preamp, something on the
order of 60 degrees/3db beamwidth with a gain of 9-10 dBi.

If that leaves me too much of a hole directly overhead, I
might supplant it with a Moxon turnstile array (switchable
RHCP/LHCP, ~5.5 dBi gain).

For transmit, I'm thinking 3 or 4 el. yagi, vertically
polarized.

I'd appreaciate hearing your comments, suggestions.

Thanks,

John Pfeifer - KL˙WN
Kodiak, Alaska