Re: Polarity mismatch question?

Well, it depends :-)
At zero squint, assuming the AO-40 U-band array has a decent axial ratio
(have no idea what it is), you should (if you're really CP) get at least
10dB, and generally more along the lines of 20dB difference.
AT high squints like most of the time now, the axial ratio of the AO-40
U-band array is going to be poor, so you will see less of an effect going
between CP states on the ground, even if you're perfect on the ground.

But it's a good question:  does anyone know the polarization profile of the
U-band array?

At 21:55 2002-08-28 -0400, you wrote:
>Group
>
>Just checked my polarity switch on my 70cm KLM 40CX and now the relay seems
>to be working ok - I can hear the click.
>
>Question - when working AO-40, and switching to LHP instead of RHP,
>shouldn't the polarity mismatch cause a dramatic change on the downlink? I
>understand it to be 20db?
>
>Tony - AA2AE
>

>----

------------
Scott Townley
nx7u@arrl.net
Gilbert, AZ  DM43di

HF/VHF/UHF/Satellite MOBILE station
--> yet NEWER (August 2002) address http://members.cox.net/nx7u

"When the Going gets Weird, the Weird turn Pro"
Raoul Duke, Sportswriter

"Don't worry Boys, we'll weather this Storm of Approval
and come out as Hated as Ever"