RE: Communication thru P5-A

Gentlemen -
Please take your childish spat OFF AMSAT-BB.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Oler [mailto:cvn65vf94@msn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 12:09 PM
To: CLVANCIL@aol.com; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Communication thru P5-A

Hello Chris.

>I don't believe you knew Mars' location without looking it up for one
>moment!<<

Believe whatever you want.

But you are wrong here.

>The Viking Orbiter transmitter outputed 30 watts, MGS outputs 25 watts and
>MO
>outputs about 20 watts, so 50 watts with a big dish is important.

I did have to look this up because I wanted a source for it.

<<Communications were accomplished through a 20-W S-band (2.3 GHz)
transmitter and 2 20-W TWTA's. An X-band (8.4 GHz) downlink was also added
specifically for radio science and to conduct communications experiments.
Uplink was via S-band (2.1 GHz). A 2-axis steerable high-gain parabolic dish

antenna with a diameter of approximately 1.5 m was attached at one edge of
the orbiter base, and a fixed low-gain antenna extended from the top of the
bus. Two tape recorders were each capable of storing 1280 Mbits. A 381 MHz
relay radio was also available.
<<

Just do a google on Viking Spacecraft and you'll find it.

And this
>is baseline.  If they fly it with advanced solar panels or increase the
>square area of the cells it will be closer to the 100 watts.

And anything is possible.

Including the fact that the P5-A will fly.

Robert