Re: Communication thru P5-A

In a message dated 8/28/02 12:09:26 PM EST, cvn65vf94@msn.com writes:

> Hello Chris.
>  >
>  >I don't believe you knew Mars' location without looking it up for one
>  >moment!<<
>
>  Believe whatever you want.
>
>  But you are wrong here.

Sure and pigs have wings.

>  >The Viking Orbiter transmitter outputed 30 watts, MGS outputs 25 watts
and
>  >MO
>  >outputs about 20 watts, so 50 watts with a big dish is important.
>
>  I did have to look this up because I wanted a source for it.
>
>  <<Communications were accomplished through a 20-W S-band (2.3 GHz)
>  transmitter and 2 20-W TWTA's. An X-band (8.4 GHz) downlink was also added
>  specifically for radio science and to conduct communications experiments.
>  Uplink was via S-band (2.1 GHz). A 2-axis steerable high-gain parabolic
dish

>  antenna with a diameter of approximately 1.5 m was attached at one edge of
>  the orbiter base, and a fixed low-gain antenna extended from the top of
the
>  bus. Two tape recorders were each capable of storing 1280 Mbits. A 381 MHz
>  relay radio was also available.
>  <<
>
>  Just do a google on Viking Spacecraft and you'll find it.

Yes, well your source is wrong the Landers outputted 20 watts and the
Orbiters 30 watts.  I happen to have worked recently on one of those High
Gain antennas used on the VIKING LANDERS.  Do you know the different between
a Orbiter and a Lander, Robert?

Try reading this...
"[249] The goal of obtaining the greatest amount of scientific
information possible from the Martian surface was the major influence on
the design and structure of the lander. During 1975 and 1976, Mars and
Earth would be at their maximum separation distance, about 380 million
kilometers. Since the distance would vary during the mission and since
the length of relay opportunities would also vary, several data
transmission links were built into the lander equipment for direct
communications with Earth (1000, 500, and 250 bits per second were
available at a single transmitter output of 20 watts). A second
communications link, UHF through the orbiter, was functionally redundant
with the direct link. The orbiter relay had three transmitter power
levels (l, 10, and 30 watts) and two data rates (4 and 16 kilobits).
Since available communication time was severely limited by the power
available, typical communication periods would be about 1 hour for the
direct link transmitters and 20 minutes for the relay link transmitters.
With these link times, data rates, and power output, the rate of
scientific data returned to Earth would be about l million bits per day
for the direct link and 20 million for the relay link. Since the relay
link was the more efficient from an energy standpoint, the mission
planners would use the orbiter link for the majority of the mission's
activities."

Source URL: http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/SP-4212/ch8-3.html

>  And this
>  >is baseline.  If they fly it with advanced solar panels or increase the
>  >square area of the cells it will be closer to the 100 watts.
>
>  And anything is possible.

Increasing the output at Mars is easily possible and not everything is
possible.  You would never admit a mistake!

>  Including the fact that the P5-A will fly.

Fortunately, that decision is out of your hands.  So yea it is possible.
You're just to much of a negative BS-er to bother wasting any more bandwidth
on...by!

--Chris Vancil