Re: Communication thru P5-A

Cliff said:

>Ed, Chris and the group.   There is something wrong here in these
>calculations.  The distance to the moon is 238,000 miles average or
>397,000 kM.  Two way path length would be 794,000 kM.  That would
>result in a 46 db less loss to the moon unless I misunderstood
>something in the original assumption.

Cliff, you are assuming 100% reflectivity off the moon's surface.  400k km
to the moon, bouncing off the moon and coming back is NOT the same as 800k
km straight line.

*******************************

With regard to the whole P5a "amateur communications" topic.

As far as I know (and this is based totally on my interpretation of the
AMSAT-DL postings over the last several years), there is no intention to
place an amateur transponder on P5. The range/power, and time delay issues
have all been discussed.  Rather, P5 would support other European Mars
missions by providing a relay link to the earth for other Martian
satellites or surface probes  P5 would be designed and built by amateurs,
and much of the talent, construction, and technology would overlap with the
production of P3-E, a true amateur (transponder) satellite designed for
elliptical earth orbit. Given P5's function, funding would undoubtedly have
to come from non-amateur sources (universities, governments, space
agencies, etc.).  Amateurs would provide their usual abundant "sweat
equity."  Even though P5 would not be an amateur communications satellite
in the traditional sense, the good will, experience gained, potential joint
launch opportunities, cross-development of amateur projects, etc. that
would likely flow from this project could be of considerable benefit for
the amateur community.   ...at least that's how I see it.