OT: USB ports

Sorry if this is Off Topic, but I'm not sure where else to ask.
Maybe, if you can answer the question, you could reply to me personally?

I have just aquired a 450MHz Pentium with only one ISA slott, but it has
four PCI slotts, plus onboard LPT, COM1 & 2, USB1 & 2, PS2 mouse and VGA
pins. The ISA slot is taken up with the dialup phone modem and I have no
PCI devices, or extra PCI Comport cards. I'm also on a very limited
budget, due to ill health.

The question is; can I use the USB ports as I would a com port? If so,
what is the pinout for them? Can I plug a comport socket onto the pins?
Sorry, that's three questions, but all related. ;-)

I usually use Baycom or Digicom modems for packet but I do have an old
Tiny-2 TNC that I play with, from time to time, but it's a bit
temperamental, like it's owner.

BTW, at this stage I only use MS-DOS and MS-Windows 3.1! There is
absolutely NO WAY I'll use a buggie 32bit Windoze system! I may try
Linux in the near future, though.

Cheers,
       Alan. (ZL2VAL)

                           Whacky signs
     In a Tokyo Hotel:
     Is forbitten to steal hotel towels please. If you are
     not person to do such thing is please not to read notis.

-- Arachne V1.70;rev.3, NON-COMMERCIAL copy, http://arachne.cz/