RE: ao40 awol again

Hello Dave

> 1) Is there a WEB site with a condensed easy to read guide on
> "understanding" the telem data? especially how to tell when I can actually
> use the satellite i.e. what are the current on/off MA's for the beacon and
> the transponders.

As well as the documentation you describe, there are some other links at
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/sats/ao40/ao40-tlm.html. It is also a learning
experience to understand the data. I use the P3T program
http://www.cstone.net/~w4sm2/software2/P3t_AP.zip to decode the telemetry
blocks (this will do it live or replay existing telemetry). It'll even show
graphs of historically collected telemetry values over time (see below).

> 2) Is there anywhere that the most recent decoded telem blocks are posted
> on the WEB daily?

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftp/telemetry/ao40/ is where Paul Willmott VP9MU
uploads the data pretty much daily. You can load these into P3T and spend
hours postulating.

> 3) What is the most straight forward and easy to implement approach for
> directly decoding the blocks themselves , hopefully via sound card and
> computer and  not through construction of additional hardware

There's a few out there but I use http://www.qsl.net/ae4jy/ao40rcv.htm

With all these programs there's a bit of patience required to learn and
digest how they work either through the documentation or just through using
them.

73 Howard G6LVB