From: Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL <vlfiscus@mcn.net>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Cc: <dguimon1@san.rr.com>
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 6:12 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Smoke test on AO-40 tonight.

> Got my 3' n3iyr dish mount figured out and it's going up today for the
> AO-40 pass tonight.  Hopefully I'll be making my first AO-40 qso and if
>I'm
> lucky, it will be a DX contact. Sure wish the alon/alat were better. 34/0
> wasn't what I was hoping for on my first try at AO-40.

The best condition for your first try will be on day 26 orbit 836
at 11:00 UTC MA=222 and squint= 8.7 degrees

> What are people
> finding the relative change in MB strength to be at different Squints and
> MA's?  For example, is the beacon stronger when the satellite is close and
> squint 70,

If the satellite is close and squint is 70 you will receive the MB with
a terrific QSB and any QSO will be impossible.

>and weaker when the satellite is further away and the squint 40?

When the satellite is further away and squint is 40 you will receive the MB
weak with QSB and any QSO will be impossible

> Would it be strongest at MA 128 squint 0?

Actually with ALON/ALAT = 34/0 you cannot get a squint 0 at apogee MA=128
Squint = 0 at apogee MA=128 is only possible at subpoint if ALON/ALAT=0/0

To be succesfull you must operate only when squint is very low for you,no
matter the range.

Small range +  high squint= NO QSO

Very high range + very low squint = MANY  QSO

>    Is there an active AMSAT AO-40 IRC channel where hams chat while
they're
> waiting for the passband to turn on?  And Dave, what phase and location
> should I look for your AO-40 net?

The best net is on AO40

> 73, KB7ADL
> Montana
>
> I want some AO-40 QSL cards so try and work me if you can!

I hope so !

73" de i8CVS Domenico
from sunny Naples