EELV Secondary Payload Adapter (ESPA)

Lee -

This is encouraging.  Some type of adapter (ESPA) was going to be built -
since many of the future military and commercial proposals are using mini or
microsatellites designs (from Surrey, DoD contractors, others).

I especially like the fact that: "Secondary satellites must be added in
pairs to preserve mass balance, and individually may weigh up to 400 lbs."

So here is a real world situation today (DoD proposed/funded project):
TechSat 21 / Air Force Research Laboratory to launch 3 satellites in 2005
timeframe.  An EELV vehicle (Atlas or Delta) would be the primary candidate
launch system.

So will the Air Force / launch contractor use 400 pounds for mass balance or
an AMSAT satellite ?

There will likely be other opportunities prompted by the availability of
"dead weights".  Sounds like a nice contract  "Government contract for ESPA
mass balance device, to be available upon one week request.  Minimum order
of 20 units"

The only serious completion might be a politically connected concrete
contactor.  :-)

w9gb