Re: Atlas 5 Test Flight

Dan -

The eventual need for an "SBS-like" for the US launch
systems is a very good point.  The Atlas 5 (marketed by
ILS) and the Delta 4 (marketed by Boeing/old McD) were
developed as part of the Air Force EELV program.

This may be the proper time to approach either the Air
Force or the laucnher contractors directly about the
potential development of an "SBS-like" structure for
these 2 launcher systems (and maybe the SeaLaunch Zenit
launcher also marketed by Boeing).

Points to consider:

1.) University of Surrey has developed mini-
satellites/mico-satellites for the Air Force and USA
(and I believe the only non-US company listed in the
NASA catalogue).  These satellites will be used for a
variety of concept & functional demonstrations.

2.)The TechSat 21 design concept being studied by the
Air Force Research Laboratory (scheduled for
demonstration in 2005) advocates the launching of
a "cluster" of microsatellites weighing approximately
300 pounds each.  The planned 2005 demo will launch 3
satellites to test and verify if precision formation
flying can be achieved (think AF Thunderbirds in
space).. which would be desired for the specific design.

AMSAT has the previous experience with Arienespace in
developing an SBS that serves as a workable platform for
micro/mini-satellites.  AMSAT can leverage this
expertise in increasing the flexibility of the current
lauchers (e.g. current overcapacity) for larger varities
of commercial and military payloads.  AMSAT could serves
as a consultant or part of an overall design team.

Advantages:
  Potential to have form factors specifications for
micro and minisatellites standardized for any launcher
(Ariene, Delta 4, Atlas 5) that an SBS is designed for
  Launcher flexibility for microsatellite builders based
on availability / launch profile
  Potential to reduce per satellite costs through
standardized structures/frames/buses (e.g. assembly
line) - proved by Loral for Iridium development
  Continued movement from custom devlopment to "off-the-
shelf" assembly of components.  AMSAT & Univ. of Surrey
have worked in this direction for past decade
(Microsats, gravity gradient boom)

w9gb