Re: RE: Yaesu VX7R

There have been two VX-5Rs in my household for a number of years now...
in fact since before I was licenced. I've followed the mailing lists for
VX-5 users.

I've never had an intermod problem with my VX-5, even though I live in
an area where there's a lot of radio transmissions; I'm about 10 miles
NW of Philadelphia PA, about 2 miles from the county seat of Montgomery
County, and just up the road from the county emergency operations
center. I've taken the HT on trips to the Chicago and Raleigh areas
without intermod problems too.

And yet, there are so many users who do report serious intermod problems
that you really have to believe there is something going on here.

I think that there may a lot of variability among the VX-5s in the
field, either because of poor QC, or because of a design problem in
early units.

The other uncontrolled variable here is that because of the extremely
wide recieve range of the radio, you either may or may not run into a
combination of desired and interfering signals that causes a problem.
Obviously any front end can be overloaded with a sufficiently strong
signal, and "sufficiently strong" may be significantly lower with this
radio than with others.

But my own experienece with VX-5s has been very positive.

73 de Maggie K3XS