From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Patrick Moretti
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 1:25 PM
To: jeff w griffin; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org; Jay Urish
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Yaesu VX7R

I agree! I picked up a VX7R despite my previous experience with the VX5R...
they are both in a class to be ignored! Lots of features that's true, but so
easily overloaded by adjacent transmissions (or not so near also) that they
can't function in any city or even small town environment. Also note, on
transmit, both of these radios get extremely hot - to hot to hold - if
running a nominal 5 watts - and you are expected to hold them as your hand
is part of the heat-sink and antenna counterpoise!

Lot's of fun features thought...  Planning to run UO14 from underwater?
Maybe the Arrow Antenna guys can come up with a "Harpoon special".

Enough levity (or attempt) my recommendation is DON'T!

Patrick
W9UQ