Re: New to Birds

Hello Brad,

A cost effective approach is to use a 2M/70cm dualband mobile FM rig
 that will do full duplex, with a dual band 2M/70cm whip antenna on
 the car rooftop. Performance will be better when the satellite is
 NOT overhead. The vertical antenna has more gain at the horizon.

You can get your feet wet and determine if LEO operating is your cup
 of tea. Headphones would be best to minimize the feedback between
 the speaker and the microphone. My older Yaesu FT-5200 2 band mobile
 was good for this mobile LEO approach.

The eggbeaters can be a good antenna system stopping point, but not
 cost effective if you are going to soon upgrade the antenna system
 with cross polarized yagis.

The egg beaters do not need to be rotated, are circularly polarized
up to mid elevation angles and have essentially LOW gain.
Additional accessories like the reflector kits increase the cost.

Include a low noise mast mounted preamplifier for the 70 cm
downlink, in either case

The ultimate LEO solution includes:
	mast mounted low noise preamplifiers
	up to 22 elements cross polarized with polarization selection on 2M
	38 to 40 el 70cm cross pol with polarization selection
	M2 or Yaesu AZ/EL antenna positioners (rotators)
	ROHN tower to get you above the trees or other local obscurations
	Yaesu FT-847 satellite rig
	A QTH that will allow horizon to horizon visibility for AOS to LOS
operation
	Automated antenna tracking with UNITRAC, a PC, and INSTATRACK
	low loss coaxial cable runs.

Stan, WA1ECF  Cape Cod, MA   FN41sr