Re: New to Birds

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:36:11 -0700, Brad Rich wrote:
>I am planning to start simple with M2 eggbeater antennas for 2
>meters and
>440Mhz.  What should my expectations be?  I know that I will be
>limited to
>Low Orbit birds.  Just want to make sure there is fun to be had
>without
>going to the beams/dishes and alt/az systems.
>
>Brad Rich
>N6GR@san.rr.com

Brad,

Absolutely!  The M-squared antennas perform very well for me in a
no-tracking kinda situation, once I added the pre-amps which help to
make up the gain I don't get from the omni antennas.

Get 'em up high (mine are mounted at 20') and feed 'em with low-loss
coax if they're not right next to the shack (don't wanna lose
anything that you don't have to!).

I use 'em on FO-20 and FO-29, as well as UO-14, SO-41, and the
Shuttle and ISS.

And, at 20', you can still expect pretty good local coverage if
you're into the SSB/weak signal stuff as well (i.e. 144.200 +/-).

73 Wayne N5WD
--
  R. Wayne Day  N5WD   Fort Worth, Texas
  n5wd@earthlink.net  rday@northwest.k12.tx.us