RE: New to Birds

Hello Brad

> I am planning to start simple with M2 eggbeater antennas for 2 meters and
> 440Mhz.  What should my expectations be?  I know that I will be limited to
> Low Orbit birds.  Just want to make sure there is fun to be had without
> going to the beams/dishes and alt/az systems.

Make sure that you have a very good front end - a low noise mast mounted
preamp will help if you have even a relatively short a cable run.

If I am truthful, I got rather disenchanted with the M2 Eggbeaters: just not
enough gain on receive. I tried them with and without the radials too, plus
I used preamps.

You'll be able to make QSO's, but personally I found them to be too marginal
for consistent copy.

73 Howard G6LVB