Re: Volunteer Radiomen

At 11:11 PM 8/18/2002 -0500, "Timothy J. Salo" <salo@saloits.com> wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:18:06 -0500
> > To: "Don Woodward" <dbwoodw@alltel.net>, amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> > From: John Rice <rice@vx5.com>
> > Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Volunteer Radiomen
> >       [...]
> > There's nothing 'special' about them [firefighters] other than that
> > they've elected to be a firefighter as a part time vocatation.
>
>It ought to be noted that firefighters accept as a matter
>of course a level of risk to their safety and lives that few
>other professions do.

I believe that there are any number of vocations with the same
or higher levels of risk. Night clerk in a convenience store being
one of the better known. Firefighting doesn't even qualify in the
top ten most dangerous jobs in America. (It's number 14 in one list I
read), according to the US Department of Labor.

It's much riskier to drive an 18 wheeler, or work as a commercial
fisherman.

> > To get up on your 'high horse' and put yourself forward as something
> > 'special' as compared to a volunteer communicator or a storm spotter,
> > who will provide their equipment and time 'free gratis' to the community
> > in times of emergency is an insult to all of the ARES and RACES people
> > who do this every day.
> >       [...]
>
>I rather suspect that if volunteer communicators or storm spotters
>are assuming the level of risk that we expect firefighters to, they
>are probably irresponsible.

I rather suspect that with an equivalent level of training and understanding,
a storm spotter is no more at risk than an equivalently trained firefighter.

I might suggest you look at the current issue of QST (pg 67) and read about
the RACES 'volunteer communicators' that support Colorado Firefighters
fighting forest fires. I'm sure that they share an equivalent level of risk as
those firefighters.

I stand by my comments.

-

John Rice  K9IJ