Re: Volunteer Radiomen

Hello John.

I think that Don probably would have worded his post a tad different if he
was sending it to thelist...and this thread ought to probably die and

<<There's nothing 'special' about them other than that they've elected to be
a firefighter
as a part time vocatation. <<

With all due respect and humility I think your wrong.  There is something
special about folks who are "reserves" in something like firefighting.

I dont have a clue what Don does in the real world (dont know him) but the
folks who are 'reservist' in the military, law enforcement, firefighting etc
all have something in common.  Don called it a "lifestyle" (I think) but I
refer to it as "a hatred of the enemy" and to a firefighter the enemy is
fire.

To me fire is something to run from (closest I have gotten is Navy fire
fighting training and a fire on the boat while I was on the LSO platform).
But the guys and gals who are firefighters they hate the enemy (fire) so
much they cant turn from it, particularly when others are in peril.  Even if
it cost them their lives.

Not a single one of the firefighters who responded on 9/11 in NY didnt know
that those buildings were likely to come down.  Yet the enemy was there and
they charged to it.  (there is I am told a line on the tape from the
Battalion chief that made it to the point of impact on the first tower where
he says "We are likely to lose the building"..he knew what those words
meant...)

The gals and guys who are reservist either got that hatred for the enemy or
kept it after they left being a regular for something else.  As I said I
dont know what Don does for a real job...but I know some reserves here in
law enforcement and firefighting who did it for a bit and then went on to
something else...and yet that hatred stayed there and they more or less
volunteer their time.  What they make as a reserve is usually trivial
compared to what they make in their day job.

Yet when the enemy is there they turn to it just like the "regulars" do.

I tell this story on my wife.  She graduated from Canoe U went to the Fleet
and flew the F-14.  After her required time she could have stayed in but
like a lot do she got out and flies for a airline making a lot more then she
did flying the F-14.  But she stayed in the reserves flying the Tommy.  When
the Kosovo thing flared up they started looking for "fillins" and called
her.  She could have stayed but as she put it to me "The enemy is out there
I have to go fight them"

Ham radio is a great hobby and a great service. To me its just a hobby but I
know a lot of guys/gals in MARS etc who volunteer a lot of their time and
hams do a lot of great work in desperate times (for us it was Tropical Storm
Allison).  I know that some have but the odds of volunteer hams dying is
pretty thin.

Don and other reservist have a real shot at being dead tomorrow because of
volunteer work.

There is a difference.

Robert