Re: Volunteer Radiomen

> Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 22:18:06 -0500
> To: "Don Woodward" <dbwoodw@alltel.net>, amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> From: John Rice <rice@vx5.com>
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Volunteer Radiomen
> 	[...]
> There's nothing 'special' about them [firefighters] other than that
> they've elected to be a firefighter as a part time vocatation.

It ought to be noted that firefighters accept as a matter
of course a level of risk to their safety and lives that few
other professions do.

> To get up on your 'high horse' and put yourself forward as something
> 'special' as compared to a volunteer communicator or a storm spotter,
> who will provide their equipment and time 'free gratis' to the community
> in times of emergency is an insult to all of the ARES and RACES people
> who do this every day.
> 	[...]

I rather suspect that if volunteer communicators or storm spotters
are assuming the level of risk that we expect firefighters to, they
are probably irresponsible.

My apologies (sort of) in advance for even responding...

-tjs