Re: Volunteer Radiomen

At 10:36 PM 8/18/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Just to clarify - I objected to the comparison between the two and what
>might be
>perceived as a play on the respect earned by Firefighters since 911 - not
>to the
>word "volunteer".

As far as I'm concerned, 'volunteer' as applied to firefighters only equates to
'part time'. In most places, part time firefighters get 'PAID', just like
any other
fireman. The only difference is that they are part time, and provide
supplemental,
trained, manpower.

There's nothing 'special' about them other than that they've elected to be
a firefighter
as a part time vocatation.

To get up on your 'high horse' and put yourself forward as something
'special' as compared
to a volunteer communicator or a storm spotter, who will provide their
equipment and
time 'free gratis' to the community in times of emergency is an insult to
all of the ARES
and RACES people who do this every day.

There were Hams 'on the ground' at the world trade center, just as there
were 'volunteer
firefighters'.

Go peddle your ego somewhere else.

-