From: "Don Woodward" <dbwoodw@alltel.net>
To: "Bob Bruninga" <bruninga@usna.edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 21:11
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Volunteer Radiomen

Bob:

I became a Firefighter/First Responder six months before 911 - since 911 the
terms "volunteer fireman" and "firefighter" have achieved a new level of
respect - to play on that achievement/respect by calling amateur radio operators
"volunteer radiomen" I find slightly offensive as both a volunteer fireman" and
an
"amateur radio operator" - I assume this was not your intention.

Many amateur radio operators are in radio just as a hobby, whereas Firefighting
is a "lifestyle" not a hobby - as a Firefighter I put my life on the line every
time I answer a call. For example today I responded to a head-on collision on
the nearby highway - I arrived before the ambulance and as I was caring for my
critical patient a severe thunderstorm came up - I ended up working under a tarp
as lightning struck close by. I couldn't leave this situation until I got the
patient evaluated and packaged for transport. After I cared for that patient I
assisted with the extrication of another patient and assisted in putting away
the extrication equipment while the storm continued with no relief. No I'm not
crazy, but if I don't do it - who will?

Don't get me wrong, I believe both contribute greatly to the conservation of
property and saving of lives, but to make the comparison as if all amateur radio
operators were involved in radio as a "volunteer" is purely wrong - I'm a
perfect example - amateur radio is purely a hobby for me.

Perhaps there is a sector of amateur radio operators that are "volunteer
radiomen", but certainly not all of us.

73's

Don Woodward
KD4APP