Re: Volunteer Radiomen

Bob:

I became a Firefighter/First Responder six months before 911 - since 911 the
terms "volunteer fireman" and "firefighter" have achieved a new level of
respect - to play on that achievement/respect by calling amatuer radio operators
"volunteer radiomen" I find offensive as both a volunteer fireman" and an
"amatuer radio operator".

Many amatur radio operators are in radio just as a hobby, whereas Firefighting
is a "lifestyle" not a hobby - as a Firefighter I put my life on the line every
time I answer a call. For example today I responded to a head-on collision on
the nearby highway - I arrived before the ambulance and as I was caring for my
critical patient a severe thunderstorm came up - I ended up working under a tarp
as lightning struck close by. I couldn't leave this situation until we got the
patient evaluated and packaged for transport. After I cared for that patient I
assisted with the extrication of another patient and assisted in putting away
the extrication equipment while the storm continued with no relief. No I'm not
crazy, but if I don't do it - who will?

Don't get me wrong, I believe both contribute greatly to the conservation of
property and saving of lives, but to make the comparison as if all amatuer radio
operators were involved in radio as a "volunteer" is purely wrong - I'm a
perfect example - amatuer radio is purely a hobby for me - volunteer
Firefighters do what they do because their job is more than a hobby for them.

73's

Don Woodward
KD4APP
AMSAT 33535