Solar Panels

Does anyone know who will make the decision and if it will ever be made
...concerning the the deployment of the solar panels?? I know there are
unknowns,,as in everything,,, damage to spacecraft...and so forth...but these
bad pointing angles  are discouraging...Do I understand that an advantage of
3 axis stabilization...with solar panels deployed would mean satellite always
pointing at earth???   Can someone elaberate on the possible negatives and
positives of deploying the solar panels...?/

Mike Miller KA5SMA