Re: Re: Now: Mnemonic and icon wanted - Was Re: Doppler'sFirst name?

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 03:56:47PM +0000, cbuttsch@slonet.org wrote:
> Would you believe Margaret, I still have my Altair kit in the garage?
> Cliff K7RR

Even with Google, I wasn't able to find any connections between the
Estes Transroc and MITS, but I did find the following passage about
BASIC on the Altair and that even then Microsoft had problems with
their bloatware ways <grin>:

"The BASIC program developed by Allen and Gates solved the last problem,
but it required 4096 bytes of memory - 16 times the amount provided by Altair.
To make BASIC useable, two things were required: higher density memory boards
and a method for entering programs quickly. At MITS, Paul Allen was involved
in helping the hardware designers create a 4K (4096 byte) memory board that
would allow Altair to run BASIC. The 4K boards were quickly developed, but
there were problems getting two or more to work together, which was essential
if the users were to use BASIC and put in any data."

73
Mike W4LNA