Re: Re: Now: Mnemonic and icon wanted - Was Re: Doppler'sFirst name?

Mike Murphree wrote:
 > On Sunday 11 August 2002 05:05 pm, Dan Schultz wrote:
 >>Those of you who flew Estes model rockets as kids will no doubt remember
 >>the "Apogee" model from the old Estes catalog...
 > I think that I still have one of their rocket telemetry transmitters
 > somewhere.  As I recall, it would send a beacon, telemetry, or
 > microphone audio.  Kit quality was pretty good, comparable to
 > a Heathkit...

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the supplier of those kits
was an outfit called Micro Instrumentation and Telemetry Systems. I
remeber their ads in "Model Rocketry" magazine.

After the telemetry transmitter market was conquered (or saturated, take
your pick), they branched out into other kits, including calculators and
watches.

And then the editor of Popular Electronics talked them into making what
they called a "micro-computer kit", which was apparently a small digital
computer in kit form, to be sold to hobbists. Imagine that, a computer
to use at home. How impractical. Can you believe the onwer of MITS got a
$65,000 loan from a bank to fund this project?  He actually convinced
them he might sell a few *hundred* of these things.

They called the kit the "Altair 8080"...

   73 de Maggie K3XS