Re: Gettng on AO-40 - Uplink Antenna

Mike:

I use a Gulf Alpha Antenna for 70cm, and have been very happy with it. I also
use a FT-847 and find the 50 watts adequate for AO-40. Circular polarization is
more important on AO-40 currently, due to spin fade - if and when we go to
3-axis stabilization on AO-40 you won't need circular polarization, and linear
polarization will be a benefit - be aware that there has been no schedule
announced for 3-axis stabilization, and it may never happen.

If you do go with a circular polarized antenna, you might want to consider a
polarity switcher if you want to work some of the other satellites. While it is
not essential to have polarity switching, several satellites switch between
RHC/LHC polarization as they pass - SO-41 is a good example. When the satellites
switch from RHC to LHC the difference is 20db down - whereas from linear to
RHC/LHC it is only 3db down. Pete at Gulf Alpha is building a batch of polarity
switchers now to offer with his satellite antennas (they are not on his website
yet) - I think they are $129 in addition to the antenna cost. You can always add
it later.

73's

Don Woodward
KD4APP