Re: Yaesu G5500 Rotor Woes

Paul,
Here is a common scenario:
1.  The elevation rotor fails (limit switch failure or whatever) and causes the motor to short out (high temperature melts the insulation on the windings).
2.  This then draws excessive current (dead short, practically) and the main transformer in the control box fails.
3.  This then, finally, blows the 10 amp fuse in the control unit.

A good test of the box is to unsolder the 120 Vac leads to the transformer and then see if the fuse blows.  If not, then disconnect the low-voltage side of the transformer, reconnect the high voltage side, and test again.  A blown fuse now indicates the transformer is shot (but the rest of the box is probably OK).

After you replace the transformer, disconnect the rotor and see if all is OK.  You will now have to troubleshoot the rotors to find the real, initial problem.  Reconnect the az rotor first and check.  Next the el rotor.  Good luck.

73,
Jerry, K5OE
ps:  put a fast-blow 5 Amp fuse in the box :-)