Re: Aluminium Dish Painting?

   Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 23:05:09 +0000
   From: Jim Jerzycke <kq6ea@pacbell.net>

   The paint we use on our 13M uplink dishes is made by Triangle Coatings,
   and was developed for NASA. It's called, strangely enough, "Goldstone".
   Triangle has a website (sorry, the URL is on my desktop at work), and
   you can download a data sheet in pdf. I think it runs about $50/gallon.

I'm not surprised. 13M of dish focuses a lot of energy, a whole lot
more than 60cm of dish. It'd cook a bit of paper in a flash. I think
the military has a paint for camoflauge(SP!!) that doesn't absorb,
reflect in a single direction or radiate, while still being a dark
color.  I suspect that paint is related.

I just used the Krylon flat white because it was convenient, and it
seems to have done the trick, although my dish is very new.

The dishes come clean and degreased (James handles the dishes with
gloves (I picked up mine in person at his place near Cambridge)).  I
wetsanded it very lightly, cleaned it again, and then just sprayed it
directly.  With a little surface preparation, Krylon seems to stick to
new aluminum pretty well, so I didn't use a primer.  It doesn't need
to be the best paint job in the world, just enough to break up the
reflection.  We'll see what it looks like a year or two from now.

73, doug