RE: Doppler's First Name?

>When I set the question, I thought the answer was very simple: Johann
>
>However, James Miller points out that a large number of web sites state that
>his first name was Christian
>
>Now, I've check many reference texts and about 50% say Johann and 50%
>Christian
>
>and some say Christian Johann, and others Johann Christian
>
>So what am I to believe, .... any takers?

It would appear that there has been a Doppler shift of another type!

I THINK this is the citation for his classic work:

C.Doppler:
Über das farbige Licht der Doppelsterne und einiger anderer Gestirne des
Himmels, Abh.königl.böhm.Ges.Wiss. 2, 465-482, 1843.

...which if my German permits, deals with the colored light from double stars.

This would seem to strongly favor "Christian", though perhaps you should
count both as correct.  I guess it is possible that he ignored his first
name in favor of his middle name.