RE: AO-40 E block question

Jim,

As far as I understand there are 16 E block buffers, ... each are
transmitted in turn, ... then repeated.

>From memory there have been 14 or so events since command control was
regained, ... the remaining unused ones will have junk in them, ... or
prehaps test data from ground checkout. Once we've had a couple more events
then the real old data will be wiped.

At present the frequency of events is very low, and so true it may seem like
a waste of bandwidth, ... however this is not always the case. At the end of
AO-13's life the rate of events was very high.

Paul, VP9MU
AO-40 Telemetry Archive

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Walls [mailto:k6ccc@earthlink.net]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 2:20 PM
To: amsat-bb list
Subject: [amsat-bb] AO-40 E block question

Hi all,
    I was watching the AO-40 telemetry for a while this morning, and
noticed something that made me ask why?  I know that E blocks are events
that have happened at some point in the past. What I was noticing was
that the same block was being sent over and over and over.  Looking at
the raw data (quick look) and the decoded E block telemetry it looked
like exactly the same block was being transmitted as many as 5 times in
a row (with no othere blocks being sent), and it was data that was over
a year old.
    First of all, I have to wonder why the same block was being
transmitted over and over, and secondly why are we having the satellite
transmit E blocks from over a year ago?  I have to think that the
command team has been able to get a clean decode of these blocks and
does not need to spend beacon time transmitting this ancient history
again and again.  Since the beacon has a rather fixed (and low speed)
capability, I would think it does not make sense to keep transmitting E
blocks that have been successfully decoded here on earth and archived.
Or is there no way to flush old events from the satellite's memory so it
stops sending them?
Here are a couple of the E blocks that I decoded this morning...

E  HI, THIS IS AMSAT OSCAR-40       2001-05-13  04:12:10  #015D

EVENT #0008

AMSAT Day = 8533    Orbit# = 245    MA = 149
Current AMSAT Day = 8986
21MHz: OFF       24MHz: OFF       V: Off          U: On HiGain
L1:  HiGain      L2: ON           S1: OFF
S2: OFF          C: OFF           Leila: #D9D9