Re: ISS - How to?

Adi:

Try it!  What's to lose?

My guess is that your 5W HT and 5/8 omni will work just fine, unless you're
under a lot of trees. ISS isn't using much more than that, as far as I know.

Recent postings regarding ISS have prompted me to start listening.  A
J-pole (30 feet in the air, but that might not matter in this case) feeding
a TM-241A is yielding strong packet signals here, and this through
significant tree cover.

I have been monitoring mainly for signs of voice activity, but will soon
have a TNC hooked up, just to see if I can get a packet digipeated.

Remember this is NOT simplex operation..... you want to receive on 145.800
and transmit on 144.590 (since Canada is part of Region 2).  This split can
be a challenge to program into some radios!  Transmitting on 145.800 will
do nothing, other than perhaps interfere with the downlink.

Have fun!

73,

Paul W4SKI