Re: ITU regions

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 09:07:20 -0500
From: Mark Johns <mjohns@cfu.net>
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] ITU regions

>ISS communication is via the TDRS geostationary satellites.  NASA >hasn't
>used multiple ground stations, other than for launch and landing >phases,
>since Apollo.  Actually, the NOVA idea is not so far fetched.
>
>- -- Mark D. Johns, Cedar Falls, Iowa -- K0MDJ (EN32sm)

Not entirely true the TDRS satellites were put in orbit after the shuttle
started flying. When I worked on the shuttle program ( I left after STS-7)
we were still using the ground stations and TDRS was moving into the launch
phase. I even got to travel to several of the stations, Grand Bahama, Grand
Turk, Ascension Island and I even spent some time on the USNS Range
Sentinal. Infact one of our guys got trapped on Ascenion during the
Falklands war. We were not flying there (maintianing neutrality) and the
Brits either were going south to fight or north with wounded. Not a big
priority to get some yank of the place. I do not know when it finally cut
over but I know in the early 80's it was very much alive. We still used the
ships, USNS Range Sentinal and the Vandenburg too.

73 Scott-K9PO

Scott F. Migaldi, K9PO
MSDT-150972
PP-ASEL
**"A long time ago being crazy meant something, nowadays everyone is
crazy" -- Charles Manson**