Re: AX.25 Space Contacts

Bob Bruninga wrote:

--- snip ---
>I had asked Steve to query his online FINDU.COM database and see how many
>calls have been heard via the two 1200 baud AX.25 digipeters in space.
>
>You can see them all on either of these two web pages:
>
>   ISS    = http://www.ariss.net
>   PCSAT  = http://pcsat.aprs.org
>
>Though we have noticed that only about 30% of the successful digipeats
>actually make it to the WEB pages because we probably dont have enouth
>SATgates on full time... (they operate with OMNI antennas and dont hear as
>much as a station with a beam...)  Thats why the more the better...
--- snip ---

Actually Bob, that's not the only problem. I've experimented with
transmissions via both the ISS and PCSat, and I've watched the packets from
others. Very often, packets will be successfully digipeated through ISS,
heard by a Satgate, and forwarded to Findu, and get lost. These packets can
be seen at map.findu.com/XXXXX. However, these same packets fail to appear
on www.ariss.net. I suspect the same is probably true of pcsat.aprs.org,
although I have not confirmed this.

This has been the case with my own packets that have been heard and on the
ISS downlink, and forwarded by Sgates in VK. I had also noticed the same
problem when I operated from Amsterdam as PA3HIL.

www.ariss.net is a great service, and I very thankful that Steve took the
time, energy, and effort, to set it up. It's a pity, however, that it
misses valid packets.

Sil - ZL2CIA (ex PA3HIL)