ITU Regions/ISS Radio System

All,

The ISS Ham radios are Ericsson MP-X handheld radios.  We have programmed
64 discrete channels in the radio.  Two of these channels on the 2 meter
radio support voice operations (145.80 down/144.49 for regions 2 &3 &
145.80 down/145.20 for region 1).  It was necessary to use two uplinks due
to region-to-region restrictions on uplink frequencies.  We do not use a
scanning capability on the radio.  The crew switches between one freq to
the other.  If they begin a QSO over the US, they can track US stations
until they hit the Atlantic and then they will quickly lose US
stations.  They can then switch over to the other freq and pick up Europe
or Africa.

There is an orbit prediction  capability on-board.  It is called
Worldmap.  It is on the LAN-based computers in ISS.  The laptop we are
currently using is not hooked up to the LAN, so Worldmap is not used near
the radio system.  The Ham radio equipment is currently housed in the aft
end of the FGB (Zarya). and, as described, is velcroed to the wall.

For a much more detailed understanding of the ISS Ham radio system, please
refer to the paper shown at:  This paper is probably big for some that have
low bandwidth internet capabilities.  The file is about 800K.

http://ariss.gsfc.nasa.gov/EVAs/amsat01.pdf

Enjoy!

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
ARISS Chairman